Friday, September 16, 2011

DOOR-TO-DOOR BOX


Growing up in the Philippines, I remember how my family would hurry and scurry to my grandparent's house every time we'd receive a door-to-door padala box from loved ones and relatives living abroad.  No one would dare miss the opening of such boxes.  For a few seconds, we'd all be mesmerized by the"amoy abroad" scent that comes out of the box once opened.   What would transpire next is a blur.  Before you knew it, someone had grabbed something from the box, thrown stuff at one another, fit clothes on, munched candy bars, and compared what one got with the rest of the bunch.  There would, of course, be the silent scavenger (and sometimes with an accomplice) who, when after everybody else had ransacked the box, would scrape the leftover goodies.  You'd have to be prompt and fast so as to get first dibs, or else you'd be the scavenger or his accomplice (you choose!) :p

Now that I'm on the sending end, I realized that there's a whole lot more to those padala boxes than just being containers of imported goodies. 

First and foremost, it's not cheap to fill a box.  The box itself costs $10 and shipping fee ranges from $50 to $75 depending on the location of pick-up and delivery.

Next, we go to the contents.  Hand-me-downs are good for cushion and stuffing but you cannot send a box that merely contains second-hand items.  I'm sure your recipients will appreciate it better if you throw in a dozen cans of carne norte, Spam, chocolates, perfume, purse, watches, shirts, and other branded State-side items.  You don't want them wondering why the heck are you sending stuff they can easily buy at home, right?  Whenever my husband and I would go shopping for our padala box, we would joke about what our relatives would think of us if we send them Lucky Me Pancit Canton, Century Tuna, and the likes bought from a Filipino store.  You get what I mean?  Hehe!

After then, hauling those goodies from the grocery store is not an easy task.  I'm telling you, when you buy by bulk (it's always cheaper by the dozen and when on sale!), you need a dolly to bring those inside your home and to save yourself some energy from making several trips.  Also, not every Filipino living abroad owns a car, so you can just imagine those grocery bags being carried and transported in buses and subway.

Boxing comes next.  I'd like to point out that a box doesn't usually get filled and sealed in one day.  Normally, we'd buy several items at a time, wait for sales, then wait for the next pay cheque, and repeat the cycle, until the goodies accumulate enough to fill a box.  Once ready, you get a box and wrap duct tape all over it until it's sturdy.  Then, you start putting the goodies inside the "mummified" box.  This is also a somewhat challenging task because you want to make sure that the items inside are packed properly and secured (cookies might get crushed to bits, liquids might leak, etc.).  When everything is set, you give the door-to-door delivery service a call to arrange a pick-up.

One to two months thereafter, your box will reach its destination - and then the next thing you'd know is that your family back home hurried and scurried for the grand opening of this box, and telling you how good it smelled :D

So the next time you see or receive a padala box, keep in mind that it's not just a container full of imported items.  It's got a whole lot of loving in it :)

*****************************************************************

MY PHILIPPINES VACATION COUNTDOWN:  52 days

In less than two months, I'm home!  I have been away for six years, and the excitement builds up as the date approaches.  I can't hardly wait c",)

*****************************************************************

25 comments:

  1. wow! how generous, more belessing to come...

    ReplyDelete
  2. this post gives me an idea of sending balikbayan box next month. though its kinda expensive, the reward feelings worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Aliz, thanks. so true, the more you give the more you receive :)

    @ Ka-Swak, yes, the cost is expensive, but the happiness it brings is priceless ^^

    see you guys, around!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're so generous. May God bless you more..

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have enjoyed some of your balikbayan goodies from Mamarose, too. Hihihi I'm really thankful of you and your family's generosity... muaaahhhhhhuuggggzzzz

    ReplyDelete
  6. ive never send a balik bayan box since I got here in US. i used to when I was in Taiwan.. but here..not yet and Ive been living here for 4years already. lol. because my family would rather have cash than goods. hehehe anyway... thanks for ur visit and for the follow! following you back as well. and adding u to my blogroll. have a happy day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. OH how I know the packing routine so well, lol. Since I was little, my parents would send these kind of boxes to my relatives in the Philippines. I used to write letters & draw on the inside of the box flaps hehe. Which reminds me that it's almost that time of year again... so that it reaches the loved ones by Christmas :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. sa akin kahit hand me down na lang sa mga two pieces ... hehehe

    ReplyDelete
  9. i can relate to that amoy imported when opening a padala box hahaha! i have 2 uncle in the US...
    masarap talaga ang pakiramdam if you are the one who gives!
    so, after 6 years you will visit pala 'pinas...your relatives surely missed you

    ReplyDelete
  10. @ Reina, thanks and God bless you too :)

    @ Ledz, talaga? ano pala ang binigay sayo ni Mamarose? ;) you're welcome!

    @ Emzkie, i send cash regularly too. lol. every once in a while nga lang yang box. so far, three times pa lang ako nakapagpa-box in six years ko sa North America.

    @ Janel, di ba no? we have more than just stockings to fill during Christmas ;)

    @ PS, kung pareho tayo ng size i-hand me down ko sayo ng bonggang bongga isang two-piece ko pag-uwi ko ^^

    ReplyDelete
  11. @ Reese, true indeed, it feels good to give, lalo pa when you see that the receiving end appreciates your gift a lot :)

    oo, tagal ko nang wala sa Pinas eh. it's about time I come home. super duper nakaka-miss.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oist, nakareceived ako ng blessings talaga... soap, toothpaste at VS lotion na bonggang bongga hihihi

    ReplyDelete
  13. ...at saka, ang matikman (or lafang) ng masasarap na luto ni Mamarose... the best! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hubs and you are so generous, Lany just like other expats I know that's why you are blessed.

    Like they say, it's always the thought that counts, not the price. I am sure the gesture in itself is appreciated big time.

    Bakasyon grande ka pala soon dito sa atin. I am sure you're excited for that. Can't wait for loads of pics :-)

    BTW, I love coming by here often and reading through what you've got. Would appreciate it very much if we could exhange links for frequent visits. ;-) Please let me know if it's ok.

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sounds fun and amazing Ate KM!
    Swerte ng mga kapamilya mo. HAHAHA!
    Sana maambonan! :D (kapalmuks)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, wow, that's such a neat tradition! I can only imagine how happy these boxes make the recipients... Also? Have a great time visiting back home! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. @ Ledz, visit more often sa bahay para makatikim ka lagi ng luto ni mama at maambunan ng pagpapala ;)

    @ Lainy, thanks dear. when you finally leave Phils to be with your fiance, i'm sure you'll get into the hype of these door-to-door boxes too. you'll appreciate that it is truly more blessed to give than to receive.

    i added your blogs in my list already. salamat ng marami for visiting frequently, and i will definitely visit you as frequent as i can (as your blogs indeed inspire me).

    *hugs*

    @ Marie, kung malapit ka sa amin, maambunan ka sigurado :)

    @ Crystal, thanks sweetie! hope you're feeling better now :) all the best to your move and future endeavours. don't worry because you'll find your spot in the limelight in due time. take care.

    *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  18. surely happy ang family mo dito sis... and of course excited for your homecoming....

    more blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  19. @ Rovie, ako nga super excited na din talaga. kung pwede lang fast forward na to November ;)

    thanks again for always passing by my blog and leaving comments.

    God bless !

    ReplyDelete
  20. super effort talaga before makapuno ng isang balikbayan box! and, bawal na may makalimutan! or else lagot sa magtatampong nawalan! :p

    ReplyDelete
  21. @ an indecent mind, korek. as in dapat lahat meron :D

    ReplyDelete
  22. dear KM, I stumbled upon your page since I'm doing a little research into balikbayan boxes. I'm a dutch artist/photographer and have been to the Philippines a few times (my bf is a filipino). At the moment I'm working on a project about Filipino overseas workers and Filipino migrants. The first thing I'm researching is the balikbayan box and so I came across your interesting story and photo. I was wondering if you would like to participate in my art project? you can send me an email at nadinebalikbayanbox@gmail.com So I can explain what the project is about. Maraming salamat po :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. dear KM, I stumbled upon your page since I'm doing a little research into balikbayan boxes. I'm a dutch artist/photographer and have been to the Philippines a few times (my bf is a filipino). At the moment I'm working on a project about Filipino overseas workers and Filipino migrants. The first thing I'm researching is the balikbayan box and so I came across your interesting story and photo. I was wondering if you would like to participate in my art project? you can send me an email at nadineshows@gmail.com So I can explain what the project is about. Maraming salamat po :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Haha I can relate. I tried to compute the amount spent for the products inside the box plus the cost of shipping and surprisingly it cost a lot. I'm thinking bakit di na lang pera ipadala? But then na realize ko iba din ang feeling pagnagpa-box.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I so can relate, there is a lot of love put into it, since it is not easy stuffing the box, actually, all the shopping and planning takes a lot of time and thinking since we do not want to get items that we think they won't be excited about :)

    ReplyDelete

Show some love. Leave a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...